Loft??

Almost all color variations exist in USA

Loft??

Postby Birdman79 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:30 pm

I noticed one of the breeders on this site has some real small loft for his flyers,and it got me thinking if it was ok to have a set up as small as the Birmingham rollers,or would it be better to have a nice size loft such as racing homers..

A buddy of mine has a couple of small lofts and he some how manages the birds in there.I 'll be building a 200sq loft soon ,it will be divided to probably 5-6 compartments to separate different breeds, and i was curious if a small loft was better for fliers or am i better off building a bigger one so they can stretch their wings.Mind you they'll all have aviaries built for them to go outside especially in BOP season...
Birdman79

Breeds: Turkish tumblers,Iranian tumblers,Baku tumblers,Pakistani highflyers.

Re: Loft??

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi,
For the fliers I think the ideal coop is 2-2.5 feet deep 3.5-4 feet wide and 3-4 high.
This might sound rather small but these birds will get to get out of the coop daily any way.
The advantage of this size of coop in my opinion is being able to reach in and grab the bird you want to fly, toss or just use as a dropper.
Especially if the perches are made in the box fascion then no bird gets injured while trying to catch them and the process is very speedy.
Also if possible unlike the breeder coops it would be very beneficial if the flier coop is close to the ground.
Since we like to put wire floor 4" off the ground (with the wire floor) would be very good.
The reason for this is to get the birds used to walking out of the coop instead of having to fly out when released.
While training young birds the coops a few feet off the ground are practical since they are at the waist level and we don't have to crouch to get to the birds.
However, once the birds bring their performance down and are being flown single the habbit of flying out of the coop equals to unwanted birds in the air.
If the coop has to be a wlak in coop it would be a good idea to make the entrance door like a split barn door where the bottom half can be opened with out having to open the top half.
This way birds land on the loft floor first before going out instead of flying out directly from the perch.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Breeds: Takla, Kelebek

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:28 pm

That being said I'll put some of my old loft photos here for example purposes.
Hopefully others do also so we can share some tips and best practices.

This first set is rather old and the photos are dark but it'll give some idea.
Right side of this coop is for the main breeders and the left side actually is two halves and for fliers.
The middle bottom is for supplies and the top section is for injured birds and can be used for pairing purposes.

The bottom gate is hinged for cleaning purposes.
Between this section and the coop is the half inch galvanized steel flooring.
The roof slanted forward so it is easier to control the young birds that land there but disadvantage of this vs. the back slant is during the rainy days you get rain poured on you.
I guess a small gutter system would have solved that issue.

Middle section

Small supply cabinet at the bottom section of the middle.

Middle top section is two halves and can be used for pairing birds or to keep injured birds.

Inside of the breeder coop. Box shelves are designed so the waterer fits under them in a way the birds can't perch on it and it does not get soiled from the boxes above.

Nest boxes are split in half to provide space for the following set of eggs to prevent the birds getting on a search of new nesting location and cause damage to other babies or eggs.

The few extra perches on the walls are there to provide space for males who have a habit of not staying in the box when the hen is sitting, to prevent fights.

Nest box bottoms are made to slide out of the shelf to make the cleaning easy.

Floor set up.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:39 pm

This is another coop I built for the purpose of housing the 2000 imports.
We were living in a rental at the time and I did not want to pass the height of the garden fence so the coop has a flat roof which proved to be a big fault.

I thought, I would make a modification to the nest boxes by putting an expansion in the front so the parents perching there do not soil the nest material.
The problem with it was one of the hens made a habit of laying her eggs in that slot.
I could not get her to change her mind.
Also, these bottoms slide out for cleaning too but it wasn't as easy as the previous version.
The bottom was wider and harder to handle and it wasn't that easy to scrap the perching extension slot.

This perch set up however was very useful. The pairs could mate there and while it was big enough for the two it was not big enough to accommodate a third bird who could come to bother them.

Front of the nest boxes could be blocked by this hanging wire set up to convert them into pairing quarters.
Also when the box was not in use the bottom could be turned upside down to convert the box to a perch.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:54 pm

These are the coops from our last house.
The first two photos are of the aviary between the coops.

Supply cabinet

Pairing and quarantine box. The middle wall can be removed.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:03 pm

This coop could be the answer to the original question on this topic.
It was at the same yard as the green coop/aviary setup but in a different location for the Takla fliers.
I don't have photos of them but in every yard you see in the previous messages there is also a small coop like this some where.

Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby Birdman79 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Nice craftsmanship on your coops especially the brown ones.I noticed a lot of california flyers with the same coop style as the ones you have painted green :) .

A couple of my coops were built kind of like the green one you had at the bottom of the page,galvanized screen on the bottom,4'x4' for the fliers.I got rid of 'em when i moved.But i might just built some with the same design to go along a red rose loft....

Is your aviary covered from the top?I'd love to have one that big,as in my opinion its a great asset to have these birds move their wings daily while they're on lock down after fly season.

How come there's no traps in your coops up top?I noticed one in your green coop.
Birdman79

Breeds: Turkish tumblers,Iranian tumblers,Baku tumblers,Pakistani highflyers.

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:21 pm

Birdman79 wrote:Is your aviary covered from the top?

Yes. Basically a roll of galvanized chicken wire is ran from coop to coop side by side then the outside edges are overlapped and clipped with hogwire.
Since the coops are heavy enough to hold the tension it eleminates the need for a center support.
If the wire ceiling sags a little in time you just pull the overlapping sections closer with additional ties and it goes right back up.
I used the chickenwire with the widest gaps to make sure I can pull in any leaves and branches that pull on it.
There are four large trees surrounding the area.

Birdman79 wrote:How come there's no traps in your coops up top?I noticed one in your green coop.

The one on the green coop is on a secondary door to a small flight coop for the Kelebeks.
It could become handy if you are flying multiple kits from the same box.
The other door opens into the aviary.

There is no need for a trap on the Takla flight box since they are not allowed to be outside on their own and the main focus of the training program is for them to land infront of the coop then be walked in.
If one was to land somewhere else it would not be allowed to enter the coop when he decides to come back.
He pretty much would have to spend the night out, unless it is a very young bird in its first few flights, then I would have to let him in by opening the door to make sure it does not get the idea there is an entry when he wants.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby UgurA » Tue May 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi,
I am thinking of getting takla birds. At most I would probably have about 20 birds. How big of a loft should I have? I see the loft pictures that are high off the ground, isn't difficult to get the birds back into the loft. I am thinking they would have jump up or fly up in the loft making it harder to get them back in there.
I have some space under a deck where I was planning to build a loft. The space I have is about 6 ft in deep, 5 ft wide but 44 inches off the ground. Do you think the height is enough? Or I would have to look for other options. Highly appreciated if you guys can help me with some info. Thanks in advance.
Ugur
UgurA

Breeds: Takla

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Mon May 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi Ugur,
5x6 is just fine for 20 birds.
You don't necessarily have to keep them off the ground.
It just makes cleaning easier.
A loft off the ground will give you some problems with the performing birds.
You can make a small flight loft for the birds you fly and keep that one close to ground.
Or install an aviary infront of the 5x6 loft so the birds first have to enter the aviary then the loft.
This will eliminate the issues of birds taking off trying to get back into loft.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby UgurA » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for the Info Kurt. I Will post pictures when I am done. You guys can give me more ideas when you see pictures.
UgurA

Breeds: Takla

Return to TAKLA