takla keeps tumbling

Almost all color variations exist in USA

takla keeps tumbling

Postby lordcornwallis » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 pm

hi there i have a few taklas and iam new to them i let them out 3 times a week as i work long hours ,last night when i got my birds in one cock had a hard time making it down to the loft as every time he went to fly down he tumbled. what can i do about it and will he be ok . thank you
lordcornwallis

Breeds: taklas and racing pigeons

Re: takla keeps tumbling

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:56 am

Hi,
I am not sure if I am understanding what is happening clearly.
Could you tell me little more please?
Is the bird unable to land from flight or it is landing on top of the coop and not able to go down to the floor?
Or, are you not able to fly him at all because of constant tumbling?
Thank you
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Breeds: Takla, Kelebek

Postby lordcornwallis » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:12 pm

the takla never stops tumbling hes out at the moment and he cant get down to the loft because of his constant tumbling.i dont no what to do .
lordcornwallis

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:06 pm

lordcornwallis wrote:hes out at the moment

Do you mean he is flying or he is landed somewhere?
I am sorry, I am not really clear on what is happening.
If the concern is the bird is unable to land because while flying every time he tries to land he ends up tumbling and putting a combination together (tumble climb, tumble climb) then it is not a concern because this is exactly what we want our birds to do.
If this is what is happening, you probably have a pretty good bird in your hands, reaching that kind of performance with 3 days a week training.
How many hours is he flying and how many times does he do this trying to land, not be able to and just keep going up?
If I am understanding you wrong let me know please.
Thanks
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby lordcornwallis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 pm

hi kurt thats what he does so infact hes a good one thanks. please can you answer me how many ounces of corn should each takla be fed a day thanks again eamonn
lordcornwallis

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi Eamonn,
lordcornwallis wrote:thats what he does so infact hes a good one

If you are flying him 3 days a week and he develops that well, he is a good one.
However, I would fly him by himself from now on. Not with other birds in a kit.
That way he should bring his game closer to ground and improve his combinations.

lordcornwallis wrote:how many ounces of corn should each takla be fed a day

This truly depends on your training schedule, each bird's size and what you are feeding them.
Even with the same training and feeding schedule every day the feed needs of each young bird changes almost weekly.
What I would say is give your young bird team as much as food you want for the first day (but measure it before giving), then after 20 minutes remove it from in front of them and measure it again.
The difference (what they actually ate) is the amount I would give them from then on.
As you give this amount each day (since their food intake requirement is going to increase as they develop their performance and increase their flight time) I would watch closely their behavior during feeding.
If you see them go through the amount fo feed you determined to give them quickly and looking for more, increase the amount little by little until you find the right daily use.
While doing this if you notice there is still food left in the feeder after 20 minutes again remove that and cut your next days feed by that much.
I hope that makes sense.

Also, I would change the feed from corn to more carbs less fat seed or a mix.
Wheat is traditional what is fed to the fliers.
If you would like more balanced feed I would say use a pea based mix to include some proteins but make sure it has no corn in it.

If you decide to go with Wheat or Oat strictly then you would need to supplement with some sort of a mix for other nutrients.
I find the daily servings of greens like collard greens or mustard greens very useful.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby lordcornwallis » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:57 am

thank you kurt i feed my taklas twice a day a tiny bit am and more pm would ou advice against this and should they only be fed once a day ,i have took your advice about adjusting the feed thanks again and regards eamonn
lordcornwallis

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Eamonn,
Feeding twice should not be a problem at all, as long as the amount of total feed given in a day is the same as what you determined was for a single feeding.
Good luck
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby lordcornwallis » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:04 am

thanks kurt iam getting a new loft for my taklas tomorrow its 8x6, my present one is 7x5 iam also getting 3 new taklas from a pal. at present i have a 16x6 for my racers but i dont race anymore and just enjoy keeping them, regards eamonn
lordcornwallis

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:23 pm

No problem Eamonn.
Good luck with the new coop.
How many taklas do you have now?
It is a decent size of a coop.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby lordcornwallis » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 pm

hi kurt i have 29 homers and 5 taklas i am getting aother 3 from my pal barry . i dont race my homers but i am trying to breed homers with featherd legs . and also i am using my homers as feeders for the taklas. regards eamonn
lordcornwallis

Return to TAKLA